Friday, February 20, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire - Big Winner

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a big movie fan. I go to movies every other week, and am a consistent Netflix user, watching several films a week.

The reason I go to movies is really about hope. Most movies I see are mediocre at best. I keep going/renting, however, because I HOPE that, every once in a while, I'll see one that truly impacts me in some way. I want it to transport me to another time and place. I want to see heroes that deserve my admiration and support as they make their way through the plot. Speaking of plots, I want one that keeps me intrigued but that is not ridiculous, one that keeps me guessing but doesn't bewilder me until I'm convinced I'm the densest person in the theater. I want a sound track that supports the movie, but doesn't either send me into a coma or make me wish "music" had never been invented. Finally, I want to come away MOVED in some way. I don't always have to be giddy or thirilled. I'm equally moved by films that frighten me (like the really good "Descent"), sadden me ("Sophie's Choice"), stir my imagination (the incomparable "Lord of the Rings" trilogy), inspire me (check out the great "Dirty Pretty Things"), startle me ("Aliens"), or just make me feel SOMETHING, even if I can't explain it ("The Green Mile").

Given that introduction, I'd have to say that Slumdog Millionaire is a great movie. In fact, I'd say it's one of the top ten movies I've ever seen. I was transported, terrified, devastated, thrilled, inspired - in short, I was truly entertained. If you don't see another movie this year, you've got to see this one.

The movie is really well written. The acting is great, especially from the kids. The setting is amazing. Even the soundtrack is fantastic.

The movie follows the lives of three orphans in India into young adulthood. The things experienced by the "three musketeers", as they call themselves, are at times humorous, and at times sobering. Ultimately this story is about evil, goodness, and the power of love. Stop reading this blog and go see this movie.

No comments: